Adurthi Subba Rao
Film Director, Adurthi Subba Rao (16.12.1912)
Adurthi Subba Rao was born on 16th of December 1912 at Rajahmundry in East Godavari district of A P. He was one of the great directors of Telugu Cinema. He was a dashing Director, made the film Tenemanasulu introducing G Krishna (Super Star) Rammohoan, Sukanya and Sandhya Rani for the lead roles. Tenemanasulu was filmed with all new faces.
Adurthi Subba Rao with developed interest in films joined a film Institute for learning Photography. He also learnt film editing. With gained knowledge he entered the Telugu Cinema as director. He was also a story writer.
The popular/great director K Vishwanath was his Assistant/associate director.
Later K Vishwanath As an independent director started his directorial film career with the film Athmagauravam.
He has introduced the great music director K V Mahadevan to Telugu cinema with his film Manchimanasulu.For most of the films directed by Adurthi Subba Rao, K V Mahadevan was the music director.
Almost all the films directed by Adurthi Subbarao were box-office hits and also musical hits.
He has introduced actor Sarath Babu and actress pramila Rani with his film Sudigundalu.
Almost all the films directed by Adurthi Subba Rao were successful at box-office.
The evergreen Telugu screen hero Akkineni Nageshwara Rao has acted in 14 films under the direction of Adurthi Subba Rao.
Adurthi Subba Rao directed Telugu films list:-
6. Iddaru Mithrulu(1961)(A N R in dual role)
9. Chaduvukunna Ammayilu(1963)
16. Vundamma Bottu Pedatha(1968)
21. Mahakavi Kshetrayya(1976) )
Awards for Adurthi Subba Rao:-
- National film award(1960) as best Telugu Feature film “Namminabantu”
- National film award certificate of merit(1964) for his film “Moogamanasulu” as the third best feature film in Telugu
- National film award (1964) as best regional (Telugu) film for the film “Dr.Chakravarthi.
- State govt. Nandi awards (1964) as the best film for ”Dr.Chakravarthi”.
- National film award as best regional(Telugu) film for the film ”Sudigundalu”
- Nandi award(1967) as Best feature film ”Sudigundalu”
- Nandi award(1976) as best feature film ”Mhakavikshetrayya”
Adurthi Subba Rao expired on 1st of October 1975.
Today (16th December) is the 99th birth anniversary of this great director who was responsible for many story based musical hit movies.
Business of Tollywood takes this opportunity to remember this great director of early Tollywood.