Darsakendra K.Raghavendra Rao was born on May 23rd in the year 1942. He is the son of Sri K.S.Prakash Rao, a popular director in the early Telugu Cinema.
His popularity as a director in tollywood earned him the title of ‘Darsakendra’. He was introduced to the Telugu films as a director through the film ‘Babu’ in which Sobhan Babu was the hero. He brought many changes in directing a film in the Telugu Film industry. He takes the credit of introducing many gorgoeus actresses to the tollywood industry. Some of them are Sri Devi, Vijaya Shanti, Ramya Krishna, Radha, Rambha and Ravali. Beautiful actress Taapsi was also introduced by him. He is known for his exceptional directorial skills. He directed many heroine oriented movies such as Jyothi, Amma Katha, Kalpana, etc.He is also known for directing the historical movie “Annamayya” which was a block buster. The unforgettable movie Annamayya is considered as one of the best historical movies of today. He has directed many more historical/devotional movies like Pandu Rangadu, Sri Ramadasu, Manjunatha and ‘Shiridi Sai Baba’.‘Pelli Sandadi’ is yet another movie which got him critical acclaim as a director. The movie was a great musical hit and it changed the way telugu movies were made in the days when it was released.
Raghavendra Rao worked with almost all the heroes of the tollywood film industry of almost three generations. He has also worked in bollywood where he directed movies like Himmathwala and Toofan. On the whole, he worked as a director for nearly 106 movies. Raghavendra Rao’s son Prakash is also a director.
He won the ‘Best Choreographer Nandi Award ‘for the film ‘Pelli Sandadi’ in the year 1996.
He won the’B.N.Reddy National Award’ for his contribution to the ‘Telugu Film Industry’ in the year 2009.
Listed below are some of the best movies that were directed by K.Raghavendra Rao
1. Babu (Sobhan Babu and Vanisri) 1975.
2. Jyothi (Murali Mohan and Jaya Sudha) 1976.
3. Amar Deepam (Krishnam Raju, Murali Mohan and Jaya Sudha) 1977.
4. Kalpana (Jaya Chitra) 1977.
5. Adavi Ramudu (Dr NTr, Jaya Sudha and Jaya Pradha) 1977.
6. Padaharella Vayasu (Sri Devi and Chandra Mohan) 1978.
7. Vetagadu (DrNTR and Sri Devi) 1979.
8. Mosagadu (Sobhan Babu, Chiranjeevi and Sri Devi) 1980.
9. Ooriki Monagadu(Krishna and Jaya Prada)1981.
10. Devatha (Sobhan Babu,Sri Devi and Jaya Pradha)1982.
11. Justice Choudary (DrNTR, Jayanti and Sharada) 1982.
12. Trisulam (Krishnam Raju, Sri Devi, Jaya Sudha and Radhika) 1982.
13. Bobbili Brammanna (Krishnam Raju, Sharada and Jaya Sudha) 1984.
14. Adavi Donga (Chiranjeevi and Radha) 1985.
15. Agni Parvatam (Krishna, Jaggayya, Sharada and Vijaya shanty) 1985.
16. Kaliyuga Pandavulu (Venkatesh and Khusboo) 1986.
17. Ravana Brahma (Krishnam Raju and Radha) 1986.
18. Kondaveeti Raja (chiranjeevi, Mohan Babu, Radha and Vijaya Shanti) 1986.
19. Janaki Ramudu (Nagarjuna, Vijaya Shanti and Jeevita) 1988.
20. Donga Ramudu (Bala Krishna and Radha) 1988.
21. Akari Poratam (Nagarjuna, Sri Devi and Suhashini) 1988.
22. Rudranetra (chiranjeevi and Radha) 1989.
23. Ontari Poratam (Venkatesh and Farah) 1989.
24. Alludu Garu (Mohan Babu, Ramya Krishna and Sobhana) 1990.
25. Jagadeka Veerudu Atiloka Sundari (Chiranjeevi and Sri Devi) 1990.
26. Coolie No1 (Venkatesh and Tabu) 1991.
27. Rowdy alludu (Chiranjeevi, Divya Bharati and Sobhana) 1991.
28. Sundara Kanda (Venkatesh and Meena) 1992.
29. Allari Mogudu (Mohan Babu, Ramya Krishna and Meena) 1992.
30. Gharana Mogudu (Chiranjeevi, Nagma and Vani Vishwanath) 1992.
31. Ashwametham (Bala Krishna, Sobhan Babu, Meena, Geeta and Nagma) 1992.
32. Allari Priyudu (Raja Shekar, Ramya Krishna and Madhu Bala) 1993.
33. Major Chandrakanth (DrNTR, Sharada, Mohan Babu and Nagma) 1993.
34. Allari Premikudu (Jagapati Babu, Rambha and Soundarya) 1994.
35. Muddula Priyudu (Venkatesh, Ramya Krishna and Rambha) 1994.
36. Mugguru Mongallu (Chiranjeevi, Ramya Krishna, Nagma and Roja) 1994.
37. Gharana Bullodu (Nagarjuna, Ramya Krishna and Amani) 1995.
38. Raja Shimham (Raja Shekar, Ramya Krishna and Soundarya) 1995.
39. Sahasa veerudu Sagara Kanya (Venkatesh, Shilpa Shetty and Mala Shree) 1996.
40. Bombay Priyudu (J.D.Chakravarthy and Rambha) 1996.
41. Pelli Sandadi (Srikanth, Deepti Bhatnagar and Ravali) 1996.
42. Annamayya (Nagarjuna, Ramya Krishna, Kasturi, Mohan Babu and Roja) 1997.
43. Iddaru Mittrulu (Chiranjeevi, Sakshi Sivanad and Ramya Krishna) 1999.
44. Raja Kumarudu (Mahesh Babu and Preeti Zinta) 1999.
45. Sri Manjunatha (Arjun, Chiranjeevi, Meena and Soundarya) 2001.
46. Gangotri (Allu Arjun and Aditi Agrawal) 2003.
47. Morning Raaga (K.Prakash, Shabana Azmi andPerizaad Zorabian) 2004.
48. Sri Ramadasu (ANR, Nagarjuna and Sneha) 2006.
49. Pandu Rangadu (Bala Krishna, Tabu and Sneha) 2008.
50. Shridi Sai baba (Nagarjuna) 2012
Ready for release movie(31.05.2013): – Intinta Annamayya (Inroducing Revanth)
He is currently working with S S Rajamouli for the movie Bahubali.
This ace tollywood director is completing 71 years, today. On this occasion, businessoftollywood.com extends its birthday greetings to Darsakendra K.Raghavendra Rao.