P Leela (19-05-1934)
P Leela was one of the great playback singers of the Tollywood in the yesteryears. She was born on May19th in the year1934. She started her career at tender age of 13. She started her career as a playback singer in telugu film industry with the song ‘Sri Tulasi Jaya Tulasi‘ in the movie ‘Guna Sundari Katha‘ in the year 1949. The great singer Gantasala gave her the opportunity to sing in the movie ‘Manadesam’. In the year 1949 she got the chance to sing in three films ‘Manadesam’, ’Keelu Gurram’ and ‘Guna Sundari Katha’. She sang many songs. She sang nearly 5000 songs in the four languages Telugu, Tamil, Kannada and Malayalam. She died in the year 2005 on 31st October in Chennai at the age of 71 years.
Some of her popular songs are:
- Sri Tulasi Jaya Tulasi (Film: Guna Sundari Katha, Music Director:Addepalli Rama Rao, Ogitala Ram Chandra Rao),
- Andame Anadam Andame Jeevita Makrandam (Film: Bratuku Teruvu, Music Director:Gantasala Venkateswara Rao).
- Eenaati Eehaayi Kalakadoyi Nijamoyi (Film: Jayasmiha, Music Director: T.V.Raju).
- Karuninchu Mari Mata (Film: Missamma, Music Director: Salluri Rajeswara Rao).
- Yemito Ee Maaya Challani Raja (Film: Missamma, Music Director:Salluri RajeswaraRao).
- Thellavaaraga Vachhe Theliyaka Naasaami Malliparundevu Lera (Film: Chiranjeevulu, Music Director:Gantasala Venkateswara Rao).
- Ramakathanu Vinarayyaa Ihapara Sukhamulanosage (Film:Lavakusa, Music Director:GantasalaVenkateswara Rao).
- Vinudu Vinudu Ramayana Gaatha Vinudee Manasara (Film:Lavakusa, Music Director:GantasalaVenkateswara Rao).
- Sriraamuni Charithamunu Telipedamamma (Film: Lavakucsa, Music Director: GantasalaVenkateswara Rao)
- Devaa Deena Baandhavaa (Film: Pandava Vanavasam, Music Director:Gantasala Venkateswara Rao).
Some other movies in which she sang songs:
- Patala Bhairavi (1951)
- Navvite Navaratnalu (1951)
- Palletooru (1952)
- Pelli Chesi Choodu (1952)
- Oka Talli Pillalu (1953)
- Vaddante Dabbu (1954)
- Anarkali (1955)
- Vadina Gari Gajulu (1955)
- Bhakta Markandeya (1956)
- Bhale Ramudu (1956)
- Jayam Manade (1956)
- Dongallo Dora (1957)
- Panduranga Mahatyam (1957)
- Preme Daivam (1957)
- Sarangadhara (1957)
- Appu Chesi Pappu Koodu (1958)
- Pelli Naati Pramanalu (1958)
- Mangalya Balam (1958)
- Krishna Leelalu (1959)
- Pelli Sandadi (1959)
- Deepavali (1960)
- Sahasra Siracheda Apoorva Chinthamani (1960)
- Sri Venkateswara Mahatyam (1960)
- Sri Seetha Rama Kalyanam (1961)
- Mahamantri Timmarasu (1962)
- Gundamma Katha (1962)
- Dakshayagnam (1962)
- Tirupathamma Katha (1963)
- Babruvahana (1964)
- Paramanandayya Shishyula Katha (1966)
- Sampoorna Ramayanam (1971)
P Leela was given many titles like, ‘Ganamani’, ‘Ganakokila’, ‘Kalarathnam’, ‘Ganavarshini’, etc. She was even felicitated with the title ‘Kalaimamani’ in 1994 by Chief Minister J Jayalalitha. Leela received the first best playback singer award of the Kerala government in 1969. In 2003, Leela was presented the Janmashtami Puraskaram instituted by Balasamskara Kendram for her efforts in spreading ‘Narayaneeyam’, ‘Jnanappana’ and ‘Harinamakeerthanam’.
She died on 31st October 2005, in Chennai at the age of 71 years.
Business of tollywood.com remember her on her 78th Birth Annversary and salutes at this great singer for the great, service she made to the Telugu film music.